Saturday, February 13, 2010

I wonder on't; he was wont to shine at seven.

Before I headed to the library, I discovered that I own another book on the list, Neuromancer by William Gibson. I'm not really sure what it's about, but it seems to be some kind of science-fiction book. Or it might be one of those "set in the not too distant future" books, where all technological advances seem to be accompanied by a complete collapse of civilization. Does this future always have to be so dreary, dirty and awful? I'm thinking of movies like "Blade Runner" and "Total Recall" which portray the future as some sort of apocalyptic hell. I think this will be the type of book that uses "credits" instead of a known currency. I'm not sure why these stories can't use dollars or pounds or pesos or yen. Why do they have to use credits? Perhaps the ipad (available for only 499 credits) will be the technology that leads to the eventual destruction of mankind.

I shouldn't be so negative of course, as I don't really know anything about Neuromancer. It could be a sci-fi version of "It's a Wonderful Life" for all I know. However, even if it is that, I often have trouble reading sci-fi novels. Of course the few I've read have been more of the "pulp" variety, but it just isn't my favorite genre. I guess though, if the list has taught me anything, its that these books are on the list for a reason, and I shouldn't assume I'm not going to like this one.

Time to blast off I guess... (and I am fully aware of that terrible pun)

No comments:

Post a Comment