Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Seventh sweet, adieu

It happened today. I gave up on a book. I've been reading Neuromancer, or rather trying to read it for almost a month. But after all this time, I've only read fifteen pages. Yes, you read that correctly, fifteen lousy pages. I have all kinds of excuses, which I will list here:

1. It's science-fiction. I don't like science-fiction, so it's tough for me to get into the story. Of course I went in with the wrong attitude, but none the less, I don't really care for sci-fi
2. The Winter Olympics. They're on TV constantly all day and all night, in glorious high-definition. I don't normally care for the Olympics, but I've had a hard time not watching. Let's see, I can pick up a book I don't really like, or I can watch people crash down a mountain at 100km/h. That's a no-brainer.

Okay, that isn't a very long list, but its' points are powerful. I think.

The final nail in the coffin for Neuromancer came yesterday, when I buddy of mine brought me two books from the list; Catcher in the Rye and Catch-22. Seeing these two books sitting on my desk beside Neuromancer is like going in to you garage and seeing a Porsche and a Hyundai. It's hard to not drive the Porsche until the Hyundai's ran out of gas.

So, to make a long story short, Neuromancer is out, and Catcher in the Rye is in. I will, of course, come back to Neuromancer at a later date, but it just isn't working for me right now. I've chosen Catcher, as I need to make up some time again, after wasting three weeks essentially reading nothing. Yes, I've read it before. Yes, that'll make three books in a row that I'd already read before starting the list. But I don't care. I really liked Catcher in the Rye when I first read it, and am excited to read it again.

I'm not proud of what has happened here, but I have to move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment