Monday, September 23, 2013

Here's a change indeed!

I was reading Pale Fire. In fact two weeks ago, I started it. But in reality, I only read three pages. Then I was out of town for a week. Normally, I find a lot of time to read when I'm away, but this was a trip to Disneyland. Disneyland does not afford me a lot of time to read. My days were occupied by trying to go on as many rides as possible, while my nights were spent recovering from having spent all day trying to go on as many rides as possible.

While Disneyland continues to be as fun as ever for me, if not more fun, I've found that the older I get, the harder a 12-hour shift at the Happiest Place on Earth becomes. What attempts I did make to read ended with me falling asleep, and having no recollection of the previous one or two pages.

I was surprised at how many people I would see reading at Disneyland. 100% of these people were ladies over the age of 70, who I'm guessing aren't the biggest fans of rides, but it was still odd. I've also seen, on more than one occasion, people reading at sporting events. I guess if you love to read, you bring a book with you wherever you go, as you never know when you might have a couple of spare minutes.

Upon my return to Calgary, I realized my copy of Pale Fire was due back to the library while I had been away, and since somebody else had placed a hold, I was unable to renew. I debated just holding it until I finished, but having only progressed another two or three pages, didn't feel I'd be able to get it done soon enough. So, for the second time, I have stopped reading a book on this list (Neuromancer was the other) and moved on to The Heart of the Matter by Graham Greene.

This isn't a reflection of Pale Fire at all, in fact it was one I was really looking forward to, having enjoyed Lolita  so much. The timing just didn't work out I guess. I have since placed a hold on it, and should be able to make it number 69 or 70.

My progress on The Heart of the Matter is going much better, and I am about a third of the way through it. And it's very enjoyable.



No comments:

Post a Comment